A lot of subliminal activity happens when we shop. We can conjure up all sorts of sly messages to convince ourselves to buy. Do you hear voices when you go shopping? Maybe you’re being bamboozled, and you don’t even realize it.
What kinds of things are the racks of clothing whispering to you?
- “Go ahead, buy me. I’m cheap…even if you only wear me once.”
- “Everyone else is wearing me.”
- “You NEED me.”
- “I’m the latest and greatest.“
- “All your friends have me.”
- “Come on. You’ve got the money.”
- “The sales girl thinks I look amazing on you!”
- “Don’t worry, all you have to do is lose 10 pounds and I’ll fit perfectly.”
- “You’ll find something to go with me–When you get me home.”
and the biggest con of all says: “I’M ON SALE…I’M ON SALE…
I’M ON SALE…”
Buyer’s Remorse is a terrible thing. (Luckily, most of the time we can return.)
In last week’s blog, we discussed all the right things a garment should be saying to you. If the garments on the racks aren’t saying those things–just ignore them.
This cautionary advice does not apply strictly to clothing purchases. Think about it when you are deciding to buy anything–dishes, a couch, a tablecloth, a chair, a vase. Are you buying for all the right reasons, or are you being duped by marketing strategies?
Become your own best personal shopper. Never hear voices again…except your own. After all, no one knows YOU better than YOU!
Have you ever had buyer’s remorse? I have. Please make us all feel better and comment below.