I couldn’t relate to many things at this year’s Grammy Awards. The nominees were young, the songs were young, and the fashions were, well, skimpy. But there is one thing I noticed about almost every woman there: gorgeous brows!
Yes, ladies fuller brows are all the rage. But beautiful brows are not just for the young. If you don’t think brows are vitally important to your appearance at any age, glance at these photos of Jennifer Anniston.
I hate to pick on beautiful Jennifer Anniston (who, incidentally, just turned 50), but this illustration only goes to show how important brows are to showcase your eyes and add balance to your entire face.
How To Create A Contoured Brow:
1. Apply color with an ombre-like effect, lighter on the inside brow and darker as you extend out to the tail. This keeps the brow looking natural. (Press harder with your pencil for more color–softer for less color.)
2. Taper your tail. The end of your brow should taper into a neat point. This ensures that your brows look well-shaped, and maximizes the lifting effect.
3. Define the edges of your brow after you’ve shaped it to makes the brow look clean and crisp. (Using your pencil or a Q-tip.)
4. The final step to brighten and widen the eye area is to apply a matte highlighter just under the arch of your brow, then blend well.
In Quintessential Style, we suggest:
- Choosing an eyebrow color that most closely matches the roots of your hair.
- When shaping brows, think about how a child might draw a roof on a house. This technique will lift your eye instantly.
- If you are a brow neophyte, begin by using a brow pencil that is a lighter color than the roots of your hair.
- Fine-tune your line with a cotton swab.
- Always look in a full-length mirror to help determine if your brows appear balanced with your outfit.
When shaping brows, think about how a child might draw the roof on a house. This technique will lift your eye instantly.
Brow trends come and go, but remember a well-styled brow always complements your look.
Warning: Never draw on brows after you’ve had several glasses of wine!